Saturday, January 5, 2008

Smells like new times

I am feeling a distinct lack of glamour in my life. Coincidentally, I blame "Sex and the City." I know it's a little late to blame a show that exists only in re-runs, but I blame it all the same. Specically the final season where everyone is dressed to the hilt and somehow it is plausible that Mikhail Barishnikov is sexy. I could see it in MB circa 1970s/80s, but now, not so much. More specifically, the episodes with Carrie in Paris made me long for a trip somewhere where you can feel fabulous by proximity to beautiful things. I tried to rally for a pre-arts walk soiree we had last night, but the most exciting thing that happened was me catching my scarf on fire and everyone asking "Is somebody's hair on fire?"

I think I may just stop watching shows where the characters have lives I would actually like to live. I'll just stay on a steady diet of "King of Queens" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and that should give me a semi-normal approximation of my neurotic reality.

So, did anyone happen to watch the Iowa Caucus speeches? Specifically the Mike Huckabee speech? If you missed it, then you missed this bizarre Team America-esque picture of Hollywood support:



To use an over-used expression, "It was completely surreal." On CNN the entire frame was Huckabee betwixt Chuck Norris and (I think) Bo Derek. They did not even show Huckabee's wife! I would think for a man standing on such a family values platform seeing his wife next to him during victory would be much more appropriate than making it seem he is puppet-mastered by two aging (gracefully with Botox) actors from teh '80s? I guess there is this whole "Chuckabee" thing happening where perhaps people think they are voting Chuck Norris for president as opposed to the far saggier hopeful. Weird.

In other news, I have decided to adopt a more positive attitude toward 2008. Instead of railing to the gods about work-related issues, I'm going to rail less and enact change more. Maybe I should read "The Secret" for more insight into finding success. Ha!

No comments: