Thursday, January 3, 2008

Absurd and Perturbed

Though I am far from happy at work, I am happy to be back at work just to get used to the insane atmosphere. Staying away from it allows me too much time to dream of an escape. How can one small non-profit be so crazy? Today, I described my aversion to sharing persoanl information with crazy bird-like co-worker as akin to speaking to the secret police. The combination of terrible open space environment (we are literally in the hallway of a house), speaker-phone obsessed fake unpaid boss who bellows everything as if the rest of the staff were part of the steno pool and emotionally autistic (but not in the manner of a savant) mental case of a development director has made me feel as if we are part of some Theater of the Absurd production of "Waiting for Godot." In this case, we are waiting for a real, paid, executive director to save us from the insanity. Feeding into the absurdity I decided we needed to have a Christmas party. When I asked Crazy Bird Lady what she would like to bring, her response was this: "Do you want sweet or meat?" For some reason it sounded rather lewd. I think I'm going to make a t-shirt that says "Sweet" on one side and "Meat" on the other in honor of her.

But enought about that. We saw "Juno" while we were in Detroit. I liked it and rated it a high B. DG felt it was in the A category. Being that "Fargo," "The Godfather" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors" live in my "A" category I could not see the worthiness of "Juno" among such neighbors. The first half-hour of dialogue was so unbelievable and overly-written to prove cleverness that it automatically dropped to a lesser grade movie in my opinion. It definitely redeemed itself, though I'm still a little irked by the complete cop-out Juno allows her impregnator. I cannot for an instant believe that any 16-year-old girl (or 20, or 30 or 40-year old woman) of the intelligence of this character could just float through 9 months of high school preganant and still be all casual and "I'll handle it, we'll just take some time off" with her baby daddy. Where is the feminism in that, I ask? Otherwise, pretty good stuff. Jason Bateman was really good as was Jennifer Garner. As opposed to just painting them as one-dimensional yuppies, the film actually allows them to be human. I just wish that good little movies could just be that--good little movies. I think with the box office on steroids returns on "Little Miss Sunshine," Hollywood is milking everything independent as if it automatically deserves an Oscar for not starring Julia Roberts or Matt Damon.

On that note--can the writer's strike end please? It's killing me. I was forced to watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians." Forced. It's not like I willingly watched over an hour of the worst eye-lined crap on television since a Poison video. Nope, it's the fault of the writer's strike. I guess I should take this time to catch up on shows I meant to watch and never did, like "The Wire."

No comments: