Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Something Old, Something New. .

So, we saw Funny People. It was good. Good in both a funny and serious way. I'm sure there were many disappointed teenage/college boys in the audience expecting Superbad II and well, not getting it at all. It was sad and funny and seriously made me feel old in the "Oh my god, I can't believe I am right in between the old and young characters in the movie." Like, old enough to have coveted light Levis and the styles of Melrose Place, but young enough to recognize Jason Schwartzman and laugh at Jonah Hill.

What's really weird, as I pointed out to DG is that I feel like Judd Apatow had to wait for a whole younger generation to grow up before his humor was appreciated. I think that's really interesting. Even more intersting that Leslie Mann was not properly discovered until her husband started casting her in movies. Truthfully, it all gives me hope that there really isn't any golden age for success. See: Tina Fey, Steve Carrell, Jon Stewart. Granted, they all schlepped through about twenty years of showbiz no-biz, but still, a girl has got to dream.

But I digress. So, in other age-related news, I went to the eye doctor for the first time since 1998 and, as I suspected when I could no longer read the Comcast Guide or street signs, or recognize people as friend or foe if they were more than twenty feet away from me--I need glasses. Seriously. As in, when the friendly opto-doctor asked me to read the first line of text with one eye it was all a blur. And, of course my over-achieving self tried really hard to cheat and not admit that I couldn't read a damn letter. Frustrating. Like, math class frustrating.
So, look out world, I'm getting some frames! I tried on DG's glasses and he said I looked like Janeane Garofalo, which I can live with, I suppose. Better than looking like Lisa Loeb (I blame Funny People for the rash of '90s references in this post). He also suggested I consider a monocle, so don't know if he can be trusted.

Note to readers: Never, ever, ever, Google: Women Wearing Glasses. Trust me.



If you can't stand
Adam Sandler, go see this movie.

No comments: