Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How to Talk to Anyone and Decorate Anything

So, a couple of weekends ago I went to a little sort of '60s modern flea market. It was very exciting for several reasons:

1. '60s modern flea market blocks from my house?

2. Cheap/affordable prices

3. Several exciting finds that did not bankrupt me.

It was about 300 degrees so I had to shop fast. The asphalt was burning through my sandals and I had a budget and no real reason to be shopping. Alas, I stumbled upon one seller who had some very crazy lounge chairs which caught my eye. As I was drawn in, I spied a pile of books in the corner. One of which, with its crazy illustrated cover could either be this:



Or, this:



It was the latter--though I wouldn't have been deterred from buying the former either. And, if you have read either, you might notice some similarities in the "How-To" style of narrative.

For those who don't store random design book knowledge in their head, Dorothy
Draper
was like the Coco Chanel of decorating in the 1930s-50s. She decorated the lobby of The Carlyle hotel, airplanes, rich people's houses, you name it. And, her PR still rocks even 40 years after her death. So, when I saw the first edition copy of a pillar of the how-to design movement, I snatched it up and tried to be all nonchalant at the price, meanwhile silently doing a victory dance in my head.

The anecdotal style really draws you in. Who can resist case studies like this: "Case History of a Country Wren Who Turned Into a City Sparrow," or "Effective lamps and accessories can lift any room right out of mediocrity into something as distinguished and gay as a Paris hat." Part "Mary Poppins," part Holly Golightly I cannot say enough about the engaging writing style. Reading this nearly convinced me to make a lamp out of a "hurricane chimney," as exhibited in "One Room Apartment: Before and After."

While I have not used any of the advice gained from my quick skimming of several chapters, I can say that I feel more confident about linoleum and the use of leatherette. I don't think a book has ever come so close to being appropriately judged by its cover. Unless you consider my other recent favorite:



Seriously, it's good. It's written in a very breezy style as in the intro: "A few years ago, I found myself at lunch with Aristotle Onassis. . ." However, it offers many helpful tips for conversation such as "Don't confuse being stimulating with being blunt," and covers the gamut from "How to Talk to Tycoons," to "How to Talk to the Handicapped." An interesting narrative arc. But, seriously, this woman has some great advice even if it is a bit dated. Now, next time I'm having lunch with say, Warren Buffet, I will know exactly how to get him to open up.

1 comment:

cholderby said...

Did you not read the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books as a child? We're listening to one on tape during our 26-hour-in-a-car Midwestern Grand Tour