Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Books, Summer Ennui, Etc.

I'm just going to go freeform here, so bear with me. I've recently experienced a good patch in reading and, partially for my sake, partially for others, I've decided to catalog my recent reading experiences:

1. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles: Imagine if David Lynch got really drunk one night with Milan Kundera and their conversation verged into WWII and isolation in modern Japan. This is the book Milan Kundera would write after waking up with a headache. Spiritual, subconsciously terrifying and historically devastating.

2. Last Night at the Lobster: First person fictional account of the closing of one Red Lobster. If Tolstoy visited a mall, this is the book he would write. Slim, hilarious, sad and a great portrait of all the places we find ourselves that we would rather forget even while being there. (Bonus: you learn how they make those fantastic cheddar biscuits).

3. Killshot: Imagine if you could have read "Fargo" rather than watching it. Fast, funny and makes me weep for not having the dead-on dialogue of Mr. Leonard.

4. Charming Billy: American Irish saga, Long Island. Dreamy narrative, lots of characters, sort of sad but not too deep. Lost interest in the last fifty pages.

5. The Road: Not sure yet. Only 10 pages in.

So, that's where I've been lately. DG was very thoughtful and,. this year for my birthday got me a "Culture Log" so I could keep track of restaurants, events, media stuff all in one place. Stupid me didn't understand that you are supposed to put in books/music/movies you want to read, hear, see and I filled in the first page with books/movies/music I want to recommend to others. How backwards is that?

I'm excited for "Funny People," it looks just dark enough to be interesting.

No comments: