Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Patience Limited

So, we saw “Darjeeling Limited” last night during a special press screening. That’s right NYC and LA dwellers— “limited release” is the real deal when you live outside of a metropolis.

I enjoyed the look of “Hotel Chevalier,” but I’m convinced all of the Y-chromosome reviewers are panting over it because it features a naked Natalie Portman, not the colors, set design, etc. I was more taken with the details of the hotel room then Ms. P’s glorious butt scene, but that’s just me.

I enjoyed DL. Not as much as I’ve enjoyed other Wes Anderson flicks, it doesn’t have the same melancholy note of “Rushmore” or “Royal Tennenbaums,” but it was fun to watch in the kind of western romanticized vision of what India is, looks like, etc. I also felt like I was watching a zany Beatles movie crossed with a J.D. Salinger short story. The cinematography was great, and I never turn down a chance to see Adrien Brody onscreen. And, it was low on quirk, which I found quite appealing. I was pretty disappointed with “Life Aquatic,” and felt I was watching a movie in translation inspired by a Richard Scarry template.

Anyway, immediately after the film, Fox Searchlight had a rep who came up to us and said “So, can I get a quote on what you thought?” Both DG and myself were still dumbstruck with “Uh, um. . . “ still processing, but not so the other 5 reviewers who attacked the film like a bunch of jackals.

“It was so long. I just couldn’t wait for the credits!”

“How was I supposed to feel about these characters? It gave me no feeling.”

“I loved the short, but the rest of it was boring.”

“I get it, I get it already. Anjelica Huston’s character was too unbelievable.”

“Jason Schwartzman is so short.”

“He writes so much better when Owen Wilson is involved.” (THAT I agree with)

WTF? I am all for critical debate, but nerd-style-guerilla-commentary not so much. It was as if they wanted to be THE FIRST ONE to say something witty. Sadly, they just sounded like embittered geeks with a knee-jerk response. This is all the kind of jockeying I just loathe. Even more so after attempting to make even short films. I just think a reaction deserves at least as much time to percolate as the time you spent in the film. ‘Nuff said.

No comments: