Monday, October 8, 2007

Holiday!

See? See what a commitment-phobe I am to this space? I depress myself.

Happy Columbus Day!! I am celebrating my leaving work early. Hurray!

Okay, so, speaking of depression, DG and myself have been suffering from a severe case of ennui. Seriously. I think I get into a rut when I stay anywhere for longer than 3 years. I get bored and need a change of pace. I really miss being in a city. I haven't felt this antsy since my pre-Dublin year in the other (only) D. I think what it is is that, here, in the RIC, quality of life is super-high if you want to own a house, save money, raise a family. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not right for the place we are in our life right now. The things we love to do just aren't in abundance here, and I find the same stale arguments that kept people propping up Detroit as next scene, happening here as well. Granted, I can see Richmond gaining a good foothold and becoming a cool city with the great arts school, independent spirit, etc. But, that's going to take a few years and I just don't have them right now.

So, we want to move. The short list is: Seattle, Portland, DC. I would love to live in NYC, but I just don't think we can swing it. If anyone (see, i assume someone might be reading this) has any suggestions, toss them over here. As long as it's not a place that gets too cold, put it on the list.

Short term, we're re-arranging the apartment. I think we have not been utilizing the space correctly. I'm hoping expanding our work space and shrinking our sleep space will broaden our horizons. How feng shui of me.

Non-Sequitor: Did anyone happen to see the AmEx ad with a list of favorites from Beyonce? She has some crazy capitalization problems as in "Favorite Place: On a Boat with my family or anyone I love." or "Weirdest Gift: Rhinestone Pedicure Toe Separators"--I wish I were joking) I guess some things falls by the wayside when you become a superstar at 18. I would trade my superior capitalization skills and use of proper nouns correctly for vacationing in St. Tropez.

I'm off to holiday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I have found you a short little article that may help in your decision. I will too one day leave the "D". One day. http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/10/10/afc.results/index.html

Unknown said...

Portland over Seattle, if you ask me. I still think LA is a great option, but I understand that it's not for everyone.