Sunday, March 2, 2008

Procrastination is Living

I stole the title of this post from an interview I just read with Erykah Badu in the NYT. Truer words have never been spoken. While I do not have any multi-platinum records under my belt, I do understand the joys of being unpunctual in your own life. It's strange because I have this compulsion to be so organized and keep on top of things, while at the same time internally I just want to say "Eh, fuck it. None of this will ever be done anyway." That's just my feeling toward errands and watching my entire weekend get sucked up in them. After many years, I think I have found a clever way to trick myself with errand-fun-errand-fun scheduling. For instance, yesterday while DG was playing soccer I coerced my downstairs neighbor to accompany me on an errand to the thrift store to drop off bags and bags of former wardrobe items--not totally fun, but freeing. We followed that with one his errands--a trip to the SPCA to browse cats.

Now, you might be thinking "SPCA does not equal fun." You would only be half correct. I don't know if I've just been out of the loop on animal rescue the last decade, but the SPCA here in our fair city (a renovated tobacco factory, of course) was absolutely jaw-dropping neat. As in private rooms for animals, open floor plan, a gift shop (!) and a huge dog track (not the beting kind) on the second floor. Plus, they have birthday parties with puppies. I was in awe, and, happy that the animals get such cool treatment.

We are still neck-high (deep?) in "The Wire." I can't stop thinking and talking about it. Probably because I'm spending 1/3 of every weekend watching it. There are plans for a field trip to Baltimore. This show makes dock work interesting. Of course, love anything about corruption, politics and cities, so it's a match made in heaven. I do feel it has made me more suspicious of other things--like the white van parked in front of our building.

No comments: